Importing Goods from the EU after January 2021

Changes are coming to the way goods are imported from the EU, make sure your prepared.

Following separate guidance for below:
> Importing Goods by Post

Making Declarations
From 1 January 2021, you'll need to make customs declarations when you import goods from the EU. 

You can make the declarations yourself, but most businesses use a courier, freight forwarder or customs agent. You can find a list of customs agents here who can help with customs declarations. 

What do you need to make declarations? 

Most declarations are submitted electronically through Customs Handling of Import and Export Freight (CHIEF) system. so you will need to apply for access to the CHIEF system.
- Buy third party software that allows you to make declarations through CHIEF. 

When do you submit a declaration?

Normally you will need to submit a full declaration at the time the goods enter the UK unless you are putting the goods into temporary storage.

You can also apply to use simplified declarations for imports.

Make sure you have an EORI number starting with GB
Moving goods in and out of the EU will require businesses to have an EORI starting with GB. If you do not have one after January 2021 it may mean extra costs and delays. You can apply for an EORI online.

> Brexit Home       > UK Transition Webinars       > Exporting Goods to the EU         > Travelling to the EU for business